Welcome to the 7 Day Film Sprint!
Participants assemble a team to write, shoot, and edit an original short film in the span of a week. Prompts, like a line of dialogue and a prop, to be included in all films are announced at the kickoff meeting. Each team receives a unique, randomly-assigned genre to ensure the originality of a film. For example, last year the line “I thought it was the other way around” and the prop, an ice cream cone, were included in every team’s film. Genres like Sci-Fi, Musical, and Mockumentary were assigned to individual teams.
Attend the kickoff on April 2nd at 7:00 PM to receive your genre and prompts. From there you’ll have 7 days to create your film, 1-5 minutes in length, and submit it by 7:00 PM on April 9th.
We’ll host a screening and awards ceremony on April 10th at the Parlor Room, a BYOB venue in Northampton. All the films will be screened and we’ll award first, second, and third place prizes.
NCTV offers free gear rentals, including cameras, audio, studio space, and editing equipment to participants. Media centers Hadley Media, Easthampton Media, Amherst Media, and Greenfield Community Television also offer equipment rentals. Please read the full Rules & Guidelines for more information on equipment rental. If you need help finding a team to join, contact NCTV before the Sprint and we’ll do our best to help place you.
Content and Technical Details
- Films must be between 1-5 minutes in length, including credits and opening title. All films must stick to the genre assigned, and include the line of dialog and the prop specified at the kick-off.
- Content must be at most PG-13. Northampton Community Television will have final say regarding appropriateness and acceptability of a film.
- Do not use any copyrighted music, images, or audio in this film. There are many copyright-free resources available online. See northamptontv.org/resources.
- Recommended export settings are 1920 x 1080. Please submit commonly used formats. .Mp4 is preferred. Feel free to consult with us if you’re not sure about file formats.
- NCTV will review films to make sure that they conform to the guidelines and that there are no technical problems. If your video file does not work in any way you will be contacted.
- Submit your film at here (link needed) by 7:00 PM on April 9th, 2018.
- Additionally, you can bring a hard drive with the video file to NCTV between 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM on April 9th, 2017. DVDs will not be accepted.
Northampton Community Television Gear
NCTV offers free video equipment rentals to our members. You can easily sign up for membership, with no financial barrier, here.
- If you utilize NCTV equipment to produce your film, the end credits must include the text “Produced Utilizing Community Media at Northampton Community Television.”
- Gear is first come, first served, including our edit stations and studio space.
- If you are new to NCTV, you must be trained on equipment before you can borrow it. You will need to schedule a training with an NCTV staff member.
We encourage you to use #7dayfilmsprint on social media.
Contact us at 413-587-3550 or email Jenn at firstname.lastname@example.org
Below is a playlist with all of the 2017 films. Click the playlist icon in the top left corner to see all the films.