As a member of Northampton Open Media, you’ll have access to all of our equipment and training.
We give you the resources to create your own content such as a TV show, documentary, short film, music video, PSA, citizen-journalism article, podcast, almost anything else you can think of. Becoming a member is a three step process.
1) Sign up for membership
At the bottom of this page is a quick form to fill out to start your membership process.
What’s the cost of membership? When you become a NOM member, you unlock a wealth of resources and access to equipment estimated at hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Northampton Open Media policies are designed so that anyone can take advantage of all that our studio has to offer without finances creating a barrier to participation. You may have a donation waived, reduced, or exchange your volunteer time for it. Upon signing up for membership you’ll be added to our e-newsletter.
THESE DONATIONS ARE RECOMMENDATIONS NOT REQUIREMENTS
- Northampton Resident – $30.00
- Non-Resident – $40.00
- Northampton Resident Under 18 or Over 65 – $20.00
- Non-Resident Under 18 or Over 65 – $30.00
- Northampton Household – $60.00
- Non-Northampton Household – $90.00
- Northampton Institutional – $100.00
- Non-Northampton Institutional – $150.00
2) Attend classes
We hold classes every Tuesday night at our studio here in Northampton. Classes rotate every week and you’re welcome to jump in any week. Classes we currently offer include:
- DSLR cameras
- Editing and Motion Graphics
- Camera Stabilization
Once you complete the classes you can start checking out the respective equipment. If you have experience with the equipment and feel you don’t need the classes, you can schedule a time to test-out of the classes. The test-out is a one-on-one meeting with one of our staff where you prove you’re able to use the equipment properly. We encourage everyone to take the classes regardless of experience. Even the best of the best can still learn.
3) Start creating
Now that you’ve signed up and taken the classes, you’re ready to start making content. Equipment is available on a first-come, first-served basis. As soon as you know the date you need equipment, submit a request through our equipment reservation system called Rueshare.
Everything produced with NOM equipment or resources will air on our cable channels and be uploaded to our YouTube channel. You must provide NOM with a final copy, preferably in a high quality digital format, of your program.
Information about ownership rights can be found in our Rules and Policies.
A note about ownership rights from our Rules & Policies:
VII. Media Format and Policy
C. Ownership Rights
1. The copyright for programs produced by NOM specifically for regularly scheduled NOM programming shall be retained by NOM. This includes the right to distribute the program to other cable systems.
2. The copyright for programs produced by NOM producers using NOM equipment will be retained by the producer. This includes the right to distribute the program to other cable systems. However, NOM has the right to make dubs of the program for fees and retains the right for unlimited distribution of the program on an NOM network.
Sign Up for Membership Here
Please use PayPal to pay your membership fees.
We also accept cash or checks made payable to Northampton Open Media.